The Sauvignon Summit & ZIN Challenge Competitions are OPEN TO ALL US wineries producing Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc. They are special competitions held in conjunction with the Alameda County Wine Competition held at the Alameda County Fair.
Both competitions are produced by the Alameda County Fair under the direction of Gerald D. Boyd, Chairman of Commercial Wine Judging. Three judging panels comprising of three judges that are carefully selected wine industry professionals - such as restaurant Sommeliers, Winemakers, or seasoned Wine Competition judges - will award Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals to the top wines by category. Additionally a Best of Show will be selected from the Gold Medal winners.
- 2017 Winners
- Competition Rules
- Division & Classes
Best of Show Sauvignon Blanc: Melrose – 2015 Sauvingnon Blanc – Roseburg, OR
Best of Show Zinfandel: Frank Family Vineyards – 2014 Reserve Zinfandel – Calistoga, CA
Best of Show Zin Dessert: Bent Creek Winery – 2012 Zinfandel Port – Livermore Valley
1) The Sauvignon Summit & ZIN Challenge are OPEN to ALL U.S. wineries producing, Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc or Zinfandel. They are special “competitions within a competition”, and are held in conjunction with the Best of the Bay Wine Competition at the Alameda County Fair. Rules listed in this brochure are tailored specifically for those wineries that produce Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, or Fume Blanc.
2) Wines entered must be available for sale at the time of the competition.
3) All Wines must be U.S. produced, must have their label of commerce attached, and comply with county and state requirements. Only TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) approved labels will be accepted. Wines delivered not meeting state, local, and department rules become the responsibility of winery to be picked up within 2 weeks receipt of entry.
4) LIMIT OF ENTRIES: No limit on the number of entries. While each wine may only be entered once, any participant may enter more than one wine in a given class. Examples are wineries that produce several wines of the same varietal type, but with different vineyard designations, vintage, and non-vintage bottling, standard and reserve bottling, etc.
a) Entries must be listed by class on official entry form and must be complete in every detail. By signing the entry form, entrant certifies that all statements on entry form are true and correct in all aspects. Violations will result in disqualification of all awards.
b) No refunds of entry fees will be made.
5) The Fair Association reserves the right to refuse any entry, or refuse to display any entry considered not to be in accordance with the rules of entry or in the best interests of the Fair.
6) JUDGING: Sauvignon Summit & Zin Challenge offers the wine industry an opportunity to have its wines judged by panels of experienced and qualified judges chosen from the wine industry, wine journalism, or wine trade.
a) Judges taste wines independently, in flights, using a hedonic approach. The judges will have no knowledge of the identity of the wines, except for vintage and varietal type, where appropriate.
b) The chairman will instruct the judges to pay particular attention to characteristics and component balance in a wine in order to give those traits as much consideration as those of dominant concentration and power. The wines are separated into classes according to price.
7) SCORING SYSTEM: The Sauvignon Summit & Zin Challenge scores each wine on its own merits, individually within its classification and flight. The components scored will be as follows: appearance and color, aroma and bouquet, total acid, flavor and body, and overall quality. A judge's scoring and rating are recorded, verified by all panel members and then tallied by computer.
The Sauvignon Summit is open to all U.S. wineries producing Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc
Sauvignon Summit – Division 1608
1) Sauvignon Blanc - $15 and under
2) Sauvignon Blanc - $15.01 to $18.00
3) Sauvignon Blanc - $18.01 and above
Dessert Wines – Division 1609
1) Sauvignon Blanc Dessert Wines
Zinfandel - Division 1606
1) Zinfandel - $18.00 and under
2) Zinfandel - $18.01 to $28.00
3) Zinfandel - $28.01 and above
4) Primitivo - New This Year!
Zinfandel - Division 1607
1) Zinfandel Miscellaneous Dessert Wines
2) Zinfandel Fortified Wines